Tahir Ün was born in Turkey in 1960. He holds a BA degree from Language and History-Geography Faculty of Ankara University, where he studied History of European Arts.
He worked in the advertising and public relations companies between 1985–1995 and gave lectures in photography in the Center of Contemporary Arts in Ankara and in the Vocational College in Kara Elmas University in Safranbolu between 1995-1999 years.
He was one of the founders of the Institution of the Art of Photography (FSK) in 1994. His photographs are published in many magazines as “Foto” Magazine by Revista Foto S. L. , Madrid, Spain, “Zoom International” Magazine by Progreso Fotografico Editrice, Italy and “Foto Kino Magazine tillaeg International Photography” by Konkordia Kvissel, Denmark since 1983 and accepted some collections as Polaroid Collection, Ransom Center Photography, State Museum of Majdenek, Rhizome Artbase, etc.
Tahir Ün published three books are titled “Imagined Views/Moments of Revulsion” Photographs in 1990 and “The Poetic Introduction of Representation of the Hidden Photograph” Poems in 1995 and “Xinjiang : My Ancestral Land” photographs in 2012. Also, his articles about image theory are published in Turkish art magazines since 2000. His works have been displayed in numerous events including 23 one-man exhibitions.
He received some photo and video awards are below:
- The First Prize in Black and White Photography is awarded by The Ministry of Culture (1992),Turkey.
- The Sahin Kaygun Prize is awarded as the best Turkish Photographer of International Exhibition by AFAD and Seyhan Municipality (1993),Turkey.
- Selected as “2000 Years’ Artist” by Turkish Official TV (TRT), (1995), Turkey.
- The Best Digital Image Prize is awarded for “Nihility or Identity” by Fonland Festival (2011), Portugal.
- The 2nd. Prize for Experimental Video (for Facial Perception) by Krakow SnapFilm Festival (2012), Poland.
- The Best VideoArt Prize (for Pose) by Patras Independent Film & Video Festival (2012), Greece.
- The Honorable Mention is awarded (for Nahcivan) by FotoVisura Grant (2013), U.S.A.
- The Honorable Mention is awarded (for China Portraits) by PAA(Photo Annual Awards) (2013), Czech Republic.
He has been working periodically at Xinjiang (Uighur) Autonomous Region of China, Balkans, Azerbaijan and Turkey as a freelance photographer.
Tahir Ün is currently active also in new media arts. and an instructor in the Communication Faculty of Yasar University at Izmir.
Tahir Un’s works have been displayed in numerous exhibitions and events, some recent examples of which are as follows.
SOLO & GROUP SHOWS
• “Nylon Refuges”, solo photo exhibition, Cizgelikedi Culture Center Art Gallery, IZMIR.
• "Transience" group photo-exhibition, Galerie Huit, China House, PENANG.
• “Xinjiang : Ancestral Land”, solo multimedia solo photo-show, IZMIR, CANAKKALE, BANDIRMA, ISTANBUL.
• “Turkish Photography Today”, group exhibit, Photography Museum, ISTANBUL.
• 4th. International EgeArt Art Days, group exhibit, State Museum of Painting & Sculpture, IZMIR.
• Celeste Prize Final Exhibition, (as a guest artist) group exhibit, Invisible Dog, Brooklyn, NEWYORK.
• XI.Fotonoviembre Int. Biannial "Atlantica Colectivas" group exhibit, Centro Cultural Los Cristianos, ARONA.
• "Nylon Refuges" solo exhibition, 9th. Backlight Photo Festival, TR2 Kunsthalle, TAMPERE.
• "Transience" group exhibition, Galerie Huit, Les Rencontres d’Arles Photographie, ARLES.
• IV Bienal do Porto Santo, group exhibit, PORTO SANTO.
• Athens Video/art Festival, digital image group exhibit, Technopolis, ATHENS.
• FONLAND #07 Digital Arts Festival, "shipping minds" (photography & video), COIMBRO
• Near East University International 7th. Photo Days (papers), NICOSIA.
• IFOD 17th. traditional exhibition: "Sign" group exhibit, Cetin Emec Art Gallery, İZMİR.
• "We Are All Photographers of the Public Space!, group show, Musée de l'Elysée, LAUSANNE.
• Kargaşa 9 Traditional Exhibition "Hack", generative-collage, group exhibit, Kargart Galeri, Kadikoy, ISTANBUL.
• The 1st. International Roaming Biennial of Tehran "Urban Jealousy", Centar za Kulturnu Dekontaminaciju, BELGRADE.
• The 1st. International Roaming Biennial of Tehran "Urban Jealousy", Galerie Wallywoods, BERLIN.
• The 1st. International Roaming Biennial of Tehran "Urban Jealousy", Hafriyat Karakoy, ISTANBUL.
• 2. International Fabrikartgroup Art Festival, group exhibit, Mustafapasa, CAPPADOCIA
• "Memos for the passage" solo exhibit, Underground Photo Gallery, IISALMI.
• “Nihility or Identity” solo exhibit, 23rd. Universiade Olympic Games / Erkayalar Art Gallery, İZMİR.
• “Nihility or Identity” solo exhibit, Çanakkale 1st. Photography Festival, CANAKKALE
• "Het Geritsel Van De Bosphorus" group exhibit, De Markthallen, HERK -DE -STAT.
• Nihility or Identity” solo exhibit, Bursa Photography Days / TKM Cemal Nadir Art Gallery, BURSA
• "Sondaj" group exhibit, Pamukbank Photography Gallery, ISTANBUL.
• R2001 PROJECT "RHYTHMONE - CELLspace Global Community Festival, group show, SAN FRANCISCO.
• R2001 PROJECT "ART ELECTRONICA ATELIERS" Cerveira XI. Bienal, group show, CERVERIA.
• “Nihility or Identity” solo exhibit, The British CouncilArt Gallery, ANKARA.
• R2001 PROJECT "UTUTU" group show, Musashino Park at Harappa Festival, TOKYO.
• “Nihility or Identity” solo exhibit, Altin Koza Art Festival, ADANA.
• "Nihility or Identity" solo exhibit, The Lamp Gallery/ YORKSHIRE
• "Nihility or Identity" solo exhibit, Boekhandel De Verbeelding, AMSTERDAM.
• "Global Collage" group show, the on-line project by Akimbo Design, SAN FRANCISCO.
• "Faces and Dreams" solo exhibit, Artlink Exchange Gallery, YORKSHIRE.
• "On the Road" group exhibit, the on-line photo project by Cafe Society, YORKSHIRE.
• IV.Fotonoviembre Int. Biannial "Interventions" group exhibit, Cultural Center of The Christians, TENERIFE.
• "Menhir" Photo - Installation by Tahir Un Old Laundry of Yoruk Village, SAFRANBOLU.
• Contemporary Turkish Photography" group eshibit, HABITAT / Silahhane, Yildiz Palace, ISTANBUL.
• "Faces and Dreams" solo exhibit, 3rd. Fotonoviembre Int. Biennial, La Caixa Galeria, LA LAGUANA.
• "Turkish Plastic Art Exhibitions" group exhibit, Art Festival, HOUSTON
• "Contemporary Art Photography by Turkish Photographers" group exhibit, SANTA FE.
• "Details From Life" solo exhibit, Akbank Art Gallery, ANKARA.
• "The Sahin Kaygun Prize" awarded as the best Turkish Photographer of International Exhibition by AFAD and Seyhan Municipality.
• "Polaroids" solo exhibit, Arsiv Art Gallery, ISTANBUL.
• "Selections 6" by Polaroid, group exhibit, FotoKino, COLOGNE.
• Selected as "2000 Years' Artists" by Turkish Official TV (TRT), ANKARA.
• The First Prize in Black and White Photography awarded by The Ministry of Culture, ANKARA.
• "Turkish Photography, Today" group exhibit, LINZ.
• "Photographs 1980-1990" solo exhibit, Istanbul Photography Days, France Culture Center, ISTANBUL.
• "Turkey, Ich Liebe Dich !" Mainzer Rathauses, group exhibit, MAINZ.
• "Imagined Views 2" solo exhibit, T. A. A. HekimgilArt Gallery, ANKARA.
• “Turkish Photography in Republic Period” group exhibit, Emlak Bank Art Gallery, ISTANBUL.
• "Imagined Views 1" solo exhibit, Refo Photography Center, ISTANBUL.
• "ImaginedViews 1" solo exhibit, Turco - British Art Gallery, ANKARA.
• "Photography for a Son" group exhibit, Sala Zielona, WARZSAWA.
• "Views From Country" group exhibit, Akbank Art Gallery, IZMIR.
SOME OF THE PUBLICATIONS, REFERENCES, BIOGRAPHIES
• The Oxford Companion to the Photograph. Edited by Robin Lenman, 2005, Oxford University Press.
• "23rd Universiade 2005, İzmir", catalogue for exhibitions..
• "Nude in Turkish Photography” Edited by Alberto Modiano, Bileşim Yayıncılık.
• “ Nude in Turkish Photography” CD-ROM Edition. Edited by Alberto Modiano, NummuS Medya.
• “Nihility or Identity” Exhibition Catalogue by British Council Art Gallery.
• Photography in Turkey; by Engin Özendes, Tarih Vakfı Yayınları; İstanbul, 1999.
• "The Catalogue of The Fotonoviembre Int. Biennial" by Centro de Fotografia of Tenerife.
• "Encyclopedie internationale des photographes des debuts a nos jours = Photographers Encyclopedia by Auer, Michele. CD-ROM Version. Neuchatel, Switzerland.
• "Foto" Magazine by Revista Foto S. L. , Madrid, Spain.
• "Zoom International" Magazine by Progreso Fotografico Editrice, Italy.
• "The Catalogue of The Fotonoviembre Int. Biennial" by Centro de Fotografia of Tenerife.
• "The Poetic Introduction of Representation of the Hidden Photograph."Poems by Tahir Ün, Kuban Printhouse
• "The Index Magazine" by Turkish Public., CC.
• Houston Art Festival, Turkish Plastic Art Exhibitions Catalogue, Ministry of Culture.
• "Encyclopedia of The Turkish Plastic Artists” Edited by Kaya Ozsezgin, Y.K.B. Publication, Istanbul.
• "Contemporary Photography from Turkey" by the catalogue of the Collage of Santa Fe.
• "Turkey'92" The Catalogue by Shell Company.
• "Imagined Views/Moments of Revulsion" Photographs by Tahir Ün, (self-publishing).
• "Turkish Photography, Today" by Y. K. B. Publication.
• "Foto Kino Magazine tillaeg International Photography" by Konkordia Kvissel, Denmark
• Rhizome Art-base
• State Museum at Majdanek, Lublin.
• Centro de Fotografia, lsla de Tenerife.
• Michele & Auer, Brussels / Paris.
• Ransom Center Photography of Texas University, Austin.
• The Polaroid Collection of U.S.A.
• The Ministry of Culture of Rebuplic of Turkey.
• The Ministry of Culture of East Germany (old).